Ivy Presidents Reaffirm Policy That Athletes Get No Favors

By Andrew P. Corty

The presidents of the eight Ivy League colleges reaffirmed yesterday the schools policy of not favoring athletes in financial aid and admissions decisions.

The "Common Statement of Ivy League Institutions" came just one week after the Ivy League presidents announced an early notification system for all applicants for admission.

Like that announcement, the athletic statement was issued to make the schools' policies more uniform and take the tone of competitiveness out of their admissions procedures. John P. Reardon Jr. '60, director of Admissions, said yesterday.

"It is an effort to see a more normal, relaxed sports program and to tone things down so people know what to expect," he said.

The Ivy League presidents approved the two statements at a policy meeting on December 13, 1972. In the athletic statement the presidents reiterated a passage from the 1954 Ivy Group agreement which read: "In the total life of the campus, emphasis upon intercollegiate competition must be kept in harmony with the essential educational purpose of the institution."

The statement said the Ivy colleges will:

* I admit men and women whether or not they are athletes on the basis of their potential as students.

* provide financial aid only on the basis of need.

* never require that any student continue in athletic competition as a condition for continuation of financial aid.

The presidents' statement also reaffirms that only the dean of admissions, not coaches or alumni, has the authority to admit a student, or promise him financial aid.

The statement said nothing about athletic recruitment, for which Harvard's guidelines are more restrictive than the other livies, Robert B. Watson '37 director of Athletics and yesterday.

Harvard coaches are not permitted to contact an applicant before the applicant has contacted Harvard or to visit athletics schools or homes but may those applicants under the auspices of local Harvard Clubs