Heavy weights Win Nile Trophy For Second Consecutive Year

Crimson crew co-captain Bill Mahoney stalked triumphantly through London's Heathrow Airport of December 21 st, carrying the Vile Festival Regatta Trophy back to Cambridge for the second year in a row.

The Harvard heavies had come from behind the previous day to win the second of two races in the regatta and their second consecutive championship at Cairo. Egypt.

Harvard raced against an international field which included Cambridge, Oxford, the Egyptian National A and B eight's and Yale in the 2000 meter course on the Nile. The surprise of the race was a fine per forgnance by a second-place Egyptian A crew.

The Egyptians, rowing a very high 42, jumped to an early lead over Oxford and Harvard, and at 350 meters the Crimson trailed the A crew by a length and the Englishmen by three seats.

Harvard pulled even with the Egyptians at 1000 meters and rowing continuously at a 35, ground out a length lead by the 1500 meter mark. The Crimson held on to win in the record-breaking time of 6:10, three seconds shead of second-place Egypt.

Oxford

Oxford finished third followed by Cambridge. Yale and the Egyptian B crew. A jubilant crowd greeted the elated Egyptian A crew at the float and cheered their performance which bettered by 20 seconds the last-place finish of the boat a year ago.

The winning Crimson shuffled off to the sidelines and watched as the band struck up the Egyptian national anthem and the crowd surged around its heroes.

On the sidelines were co-captains Mahoney and Gene Labarre, Who were in Egypt for the second time along with junior Dave Fellows. Making the Cairo trip for the first time were juniors peter Blair, Carter Dodge, Tim Hosea, peter Lowe, Won Kim and Jim Owen and sophomores Ed Woodhouse and Ron Shaw. Heavyweight crew coach Harry parker accompanied the 11oarsmen he had selected for the race.

Parker expressed pleasure at his crew's performance and pointed out some of the problems for visitors in Egypt. "I was very pleased with the job they did, it was a difficult race to win and one which required quite a bit of strength," he said.

"In past year the Egyptians have consistently done better in the second race while visiting crews have suffered from sickness and other problems of acclimation," he said.