Harvard Swimmers Remain Unbeaten; Strong Effort Beats Dartmouth, 69-44

By Charles B. Straus

Paced by two record-shattering performances by Hess Yntema and a remarkable diving double by Dave English, the Harvard swimming team further established itself as a viable Eastern power Saturday with a thoroughly convincing 69.44 rout of previously unbeaten Dartmouth.

The Crimson, rated a slight underdog erased an early rune point deficit-taking 10 of 13 firsts and sweeping four faces en route to its third straight win and its most impressive triumph in years.

More significant was the high quality of the competition. The superior times that Harvard swam now rate several Crimson swimmers among the fastest in the country and illustrate how far head coach Don Gambril has taken his team in just two years of rebuilding.

In the initial stages of the contest held before a near capacity crowd at the IAB it appeared as if the Big Green would stall Harvard's swimming renaissance for another year. An extremely close Dartmouth win in the medley relay despite a superb 47.2 100-yd free anchor leg by Mike Cook, and a 1-3 Big Green win the 1000-yd free gave the visitors a 12.3 lead.

But Dartmouth's two firsts were the last they would get until late in the meet as the Crimson began to take complete command. The tally began inconspicuously as Harvard captain Fred Mitchell won his specialty, the 200-yd free.

But a surprising sweep in the 50-yed free ignited Harvard. Tim Neville, swimming a very strong race, shattered the pool record of 21.9 with a superb 21.5 effort. More important, perhaps, was Paul Scott's unexpected second. Scott's performance set the stage for several other remarkable efforts later in the meet.

The next race, the 200-yd individual medley, gave the Crimson a 22-21 lead it continued to stretch as freshman sensation Jess Yntema led from start to finish to establish a new Harvard school and pool record time of 1:59.1. Dave Brumwell, whose record Yntema broke, completed the second straight Harvard sweep.

Freshman Dave English finally hit his groove on Saturday, breaking out of a two-meet slump, as he took the surprising firsts. "It was truly unexpected," Gambril said afterward, "but Dave dove well and I think he picked up a lot of confidence and should be much better from now on.

The meet was still close at 23-25 after the first dive but the Crimson soon began to pull away, Yntema completed his superb double with an excellent 1:55.9 clocking in the 200-yd, fly, erasing the mark he set against Army and establishing a pool record as well. Another freshman standout, John Craig, took a third for one large number of Harvard's unexpected points.

A 1-2 Harvard sweep by Mitchell and Neville in the 100-yd free and yet another school record-setting performance, this time by freshman Tom Wolle with an excellent 2:00," time in the 200-yd back, put the Crimson ahead 6.33 with a victory in sight.

In what was perhaps the finest Harvard performance of the meet. Brumwell and Phil Johnkheer pulled a completely unexpected 1-2 sweep in the 200-yd. Breastroke to clinch the meet Brumwell. Who is already turning in performances midway through the season similar to his record-setting swims at the end of last season, won the race in a pool record time of 2:14.7, just fractions off his school mark.

It was Jon kheer, however, who turned in the most remarkable performance of the afternoon. Swimming an incredibly courageous race, he took the second and, in the process, bettered his career best time by three seconds in 2:16, English's second win, and a fine 400-yd. freestyle relay win iced the Crimson win.

"It was a great meet, I'm very happy," head coach Gambril said after the contest, "It was definitely one of the top four wins in my coaching career." For Harvard, the victory over the Big Green, which upset Princeton, further scrambles the league race. The Princeton-Harvard meet in February may decide who does win the title