the Stage

AWAKE AND SING, by Clifford Odets. This is one of the best of the socially conscious plays folks churned out in the '30s, about a Jewish family struggling through the Depression on the Grand Concourse or somewhere. I saw a version a long time ago in New York, and if I remember correctly the whole thing is effective and inspirational, particularly the scene where somebody smashes the old man's collection of Caruso records. 8:15 p.m. at the Tufts Arena Theater in Medford, through Saturday.

CAMBRIDGE PUPPET PLAYHOUSE. Little Red Riding Hood and The Princess and the Pea, Saturday at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.

THE DISINTEGRATION OF JAMES CHERRY. 8:30 p.m. at Brandeis's Laurie Theater, Waltham, through Saturday.

LEGEND OF MR. VEE. A "mythical play." To me this sounds like the mock war crimes tribunals they used to have, with all the real war crimes lying around. Maybe someday it will grow up and become a real play. Tomorrow and Saturday, 8:30 p.m. at the Black Wheat Theater, Emmanuel Church, 15 Newbury Street in Boston.

MAN FOR MAN. A farce, by Michael Bronski, concerning lots of homosexuality and pointless violence, and containing a reasonable quota of funny lines. 7:30 p.m. at the Loeb Ex.

MOONCHILDREN, by Michael Weller, about the people he shared a house with during his last year at Brandeis (1965). Very funny, very strong, eminently enjoyable and worth seeing, and only two weeks before it leaves for Broadway, where an earlier production got unanimous rave reviews and closed after three nights. 7:30. Saturday 6:30 and 10, Sunday 2:30 and 7:30, at the New Theater, 12 Holyoke Street.

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST. I still have not seen this, but everyone says I should. 7:30 at the Charles Playhouse, 75 Warrenton Street, Boston. THE TIGER, a one-acter by Murray Schisgal, opening the Boston Repertory Theater's Wednesday Night Workshop. Their other productions are ANIMAL FARM and THE LITTLE PRINCE. 8:08 p.m., Berkeley and Marlboro Streets in Boston.

VERONICA'S ROOM. Reportedly one of the worst thrillers ever on any stage. At the Colonial Theater in Boston.