Freshmen Booters Defeat MIT, 4-0

Crimson Crushes B-Team

Clutch goaltending and three second-half tallies carried the freshman soccer team to a 4-0 victory over the MIT Varsity B in a game played Saturday morning at MIT.

"It took some doing," freshman coach Dana Getchell said yesterday, adding that the MIT squad included many upperclassmen. "They were physically bigger than we were and they were rough."

The win, which boosted the Crimson record to 2-0, featured Mark Zimering and Eric Zager offensively and substitute goaltender Hal Weeks on defense.

With five minutes remaining in the first half, Zimering broke the ice for Harvard with a goal assisted by Hans Birle. "He brought it down the side and crossed it," Zimering explained. "I shot, the ball hit the right side of the post and rebounded out. I made a move and scored."

Zimering jumped the lead to 2-0 with an unassisted goal early in the second half. His two tallies brought his total to five

Eric Zager added two goals in the last ten minutes to put the game out of reach. Zager's first tally came on a penalty kick at the 30-minute mark and followed it with an unassisted goal five minutes later. "I realized how easy it was to dribble around their fullbacks," Zager said.

The shutout went to Hal Weeks, a backup for regular netminder Peter Durgerian who had been sidelined by sickness.

Week's counterpart on the MIT squad impressed Getchell. "Their goaltender was excellent. He stopped everything we shot at him. Definitely a guy who played varsity ball," Getchell said.

The defense in front of Weeks consisted of Chris Saunders, Kevin Stone and Aris Yannopoulis. Getchell praised both Saunders and Yannopoulis. "Aris has been very steady and Saunders played well at centerback," he said. Stone was shifted to fullback and has to learn the position, but Getchell said he was coming along.

Along with the play of Weeks and the defense, halfback Kevin Jiggett and Hans Birle were also cited by Getchell as contributing heavily to the win. Getchell emphasized the spirit of his team as being important to its early success. "We have no stars," he said, "only nice kids."

The freshmen will place their undefeated record on the line Thursday against the Babson varsity B-team in a home game. "They've already clipped our J.V.s, 3-1," Getchell said. "It'll be a tough game."

The Crimson will open its Ivy League schedule in a match against the Dartmouth freshmen on October 26.