Harvard Loses to UConn In Well-Played 1-0 Game

The Harvard soccer team made a strong showing against the University of Connecticut yesterday afternoon, but was edged 1-0.

Both teams demonstrated finesse and good ball control but both also suffered from lack of a strong scorer. The Huskies had the edge controlling the ball and taking the ball into Harvard territory for 24 shots on goal while Harvard took only 12 shots.

UConn, playing from a 4-3-3 system, had a very strong halfback trio that dominated the play led by All-American junior Tim Hunter. Although the Huskies controlled the ball, they lacked a real scorer to capitalize on the opportunities created by the half backs.

"We are not a team to blow anyone off the field," said Joe Morrone, the Huskies coach. "However, we concentrate on controlling the ball and hope that the right man will be at the right spot."

Franz Innocent, the Huskie playmaker, scored the only goal of the game 30 minutes into the first half. Innocent headed in a cross pass from the right side to the right side of the goal.

Crimson forward Art Faden had missed two scoring opportunities when he headed the ball from a good position out over the crossbeam.

Captain Steve Kidder, the Harvard goalie, turned in the outstanding performance of the game making 16 saves. Early in the game he blocked a high lob to the right corner and then dove to block a shot to the left corner of the goal. On two occasions he stole goals from Husky wing Sotiris Tsantiris, blocking shots with spectacular dives from a very close range.

Although the Crimson suffered from a weak offensive line they demonstrated good defensive skills and sound halfback work. Morrone said he was impressed by Harvard's improvement since the Crimson's 3-1 loss to Wesleyan. "They are a young team, but they will give trouble to many New England teams," he added.