Auction Raises Money for Israel

An art auction sponsored by Cambridge's Art/Asia Gallery raised over $10,000 to benefit Israel last night.

The owners of the Art/Asia Gallery stated at the beginning of the evening that all items had been donated and the affair organized in the last five days-after the start of the current Arab-Israeli War.

Large Crowd

A crowd of 150 people squeezed into the small gallery at 8 Story Street at the height of the event. Three or four different auctioneers were used during the auction, which lasted several hours.

The artwork sold in the auction consisted primarily of etchings, woodblock designs, lithographs, prints and drawings. Some sculpture and pottery was also sold. Few oils were included. The majority of items sold for between $100 and $500.

Works of art not sold in the auction will be sold in Art/Asia Gallery starting tomorrow. Money raised from the sale of these pieces will also go to the State of Israel, a gallery employee said last night.

Some of the largest sales of the evening were: a Kokoshka crayon drawing sold for $850, a Baskin wood engraving sold for $585, and a Vassarely silkscreen sold for $500.