Cliffe Field Hockey Team Beats Brown in 2nd Half

The Radcliffe field hockey team broke a halftime tie with two goals early in the second half and defeated Brown, 3-1, yesterday in gaining its third win of the season.

Both teams scored early in the first half as the play moved from end to end with neither team gaining control for more than a few minutes at a time.

After hot Brown tallied on a shot taken after Radcliffe goalie Barbie Matson had made several saves in succession, Ann Ballen tied the game on a flick shot midway through the 30-minute period.

Right wing Kathy Agoos gave Radcliffe a 2-1 lead on a wrist shot five minutes into the second period, and the 'Cliffe squad then took the play into the Brown half of the field for the rest of the game.'

Although the visitors added only one more goal, on a fine play by Ann Ballen, they pressured the Brown goalie constantly as Matson watched her offense at work in its smoothest performance of the year.

"During the second half we had our best teamwork of the season," Matson said last night. "Nancy Sato, our center halfback, played particularly well in keeping the ball in their end."

Looking ahead to this weekend's tournament in Kingston, R.I., which will include about 20 field hockey teams, right inner Maude Wood said that the win may give the team the confidence needed to sweep its three games.

Maximum Capacity

"We played as a team, and it was our best game of the season," she said. "However, our chances in Rhode Island will depend on who we play, but playing three games in two days may pull us together for the rest of the season."

Every player contacted agreed that yesterday's game was the best played of the season. "We're on the upswing for good, I hope," said Agoos, in summing up the team's feelings after the 3-1 victory over Brown.