Stoeckel Chosen As Back of Week In Ivy League

Jimmy Stoeckel, starting signal caller for the Crimson football team, has been named Ivy league back of the week by the League office, after figuring in two out of three touchdowns in Harvard's 21-15 victory over Cornell last Saturday.

Although the senior quarterback completed only eight of 19 passes for 126 yards in the game and was intercepted twice, his 10-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter gave the Crimson a 7-0 lead and his 14-yard run in the final quarter proved to provide the winning margin.

Stoeckel also ran for 55 yards and punted seven times for a thirty yard average.

After learning about the award yesterday, Stoeckel said, "It's all right but awards don't mean that much to me." "I enjoy playing just to play and if the awards come with that, it's nice.

In Ivy League play so far this season, Stoeckel has completed 14 passes in 27 attempts for a total of 235 yards and has rushed for 86 yards in 15 carries, making the Crimson's total offense average second only to Cornell in the Ivies.

Stoeckel has scored 18 points this season in Ivy League competition, which makes him the third leading scorer in the league.

"It's a great honor to a great young man," Crimson coach Joe Restic said yesterday of his star quarterback. "He has just done an outstanding job for us. He sat on the bench for two years and waited his turn. I'm really glad things are going his way now."

Stoeckel's play at quarterback is one of the prime reasons Harvard has remained undefeated and shares first place in the Ivy League with Penn.

In Ivy League statistics released Monday, Harvard holds number one position in total defense (230.5 yards per game), rushing offense (235.5), rushing defense (69.0), scoring (39.0) and scoring defense (7.5). Harvard is third in total offense behind Penn and Cornell.