Three Gunmen Rob Policeman Of Building Keys, Pistol, Radio

By Richard H.P. Sia

Three men carrying handguns robbed a University policeman of his pistol, ammunition, radio and eight master keys late Wednesday night, University police said yesterday. The victim, officer John Miller, was not injured in the incident.

The gunmen also stopped three students--Daniel McCrimons '75, Muliufi Hannemann '76 and Ronald Valesky '76--in the incident, police said, but did not injure them or relieve them of any valuables.

Police said the assailants confronted Miller at 10:58 p.m. on the steps fronting the Bureau of Study Council at 5 Linden Street and put guns to his head and back.

The robbers then took Miller's belt that carried eight master keys, handcuffs, a walkie-talkie and police club. They relieved Miller of his handgun and took six rounds of ammunition, police said.

University police said last night that enough locks would be changed to make the stolen master keys useless.

The three students were walking on Linden Street when one of the robbers stopped them and told them to stand with Miller, police said.

"My roommate suggested that we make a run for it, but the guy watching us started to pull a gun out of his coat pocket," Hannemann said yesterday.

The men ordered the students and Miller to stand against the wall in an alley between Linden and Plympton Streets with their hands in the air, he said.

Police said the three robbers then ran off towards Mass Ave and left the area in a green car.

Police described the men as blacks in their middle-to-late 20s, carrying .38 and .45 caliber handguns.

The robbers have not been apprehended, although University police questioned suspects in the incident early yesterday and released them.

Building superintendents of the River Houses have been alerted to lock all entry doors at nights, particularly since the robbers still have master keys and weapons, police said.