Crimson Stickmen Defeat Green, 8-7

A group of Harvard lacrosse players edged a Dartmouth squad 8-7, Saturday in an informal contest that probably will mark the end of fall lacrosse practice in Cambridge.

Although the laxmen have practiced throughout the fall, yesterday was the first and last scrimmage against another school.

Neither team controlled the play as the Crimson lost leads of 1-0 and 5-3 before midfielder Bill Tennis scored the winning goal with three minutes left in the final period.

Members of last spring's freshman team led Harvard's offense. Sophomores Kevin McCall, Giles Whelan, and Tennis tallied seven of the eight goals, and McCall scored five times to lead the Crimson attack.

Daily Kennedy, who played at attack as a freshman, starred for Harvard in the goal.

"Daily did a really great job for someone who had not played goal for two years," Tennis said yesterday.

"It was a pretty sloppy game," he said. "It was the first time we really scrimmaged as our practices have consisted of small, non-contact games."

The laxmen probably soon will be forced to abandon their daily sessions as the weather will make outdoor practices impracticable.