Reischauer's Cable Could Gain Passport for Korean

A telegram sent by Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor, will be the basis for a passport application this week by former South Korean opposition leader Kim Dae Jung to travel to the United States and study at Harvard, Kim's Washington representative said yesterday.

Lee Keun Pal, the opposition political leader's executive secretary, said in Washington that the telegram confirms that a Harvard fellowship granted to Kim last summer is still effective.

Kim, who ran unsuccessfully against President Park Chung Hee in the 1971 South Korean presidential elections, was appointed a visiting fellow to Harvard last July under Reischauer's sponsorship.

Kim's acceptance of the offer was delayed by his abduction in August from Japan where he was living in exile and his subsequent arrest in Korea. Kim was freed on Friday after 71 days of house arrest.

Harvard Eager

Reischauer said yesterday his telegram indicated Harvard's eagerness to have Kim come and he added that a copy had been sent to the Korean foreign ministry, which issues passports. Reischauer was contacted by Lee over the weekend and the professor relayed Harvard's willingness to accept Kim.

Kim told a news conference in Seoul on Monday of his plans to come to Harvard with his family. "I would like to concentrate on studies for a year," Kim said, adding he wishes to specialize in international politics.

Rumors that Kim had bartered his political activity in exchange for freedom were downplayed by Reischauer who felt Japanese demands had caused his release.

"There has been tremendous pressure from the Japanese government and to some extent from the United States," he said.

The kidnapping of the South Korean had led to charges by both political parties in Japan that the South Korean Central Intelligence Agency was involved.

In Seoul, Foreign Minister Kim Yong Shik said Monday Kim would be treated "like anyone else when he applies for a passport."