Church Could Stop Houses' Liquor Permits

By Nicholas Lemann

A state law which allows churches and schools to prevent liquor licenses from being given to nearby bars and restaurants could foul up Harvard's plans to serve wine and beer in the House dining halls.

The law provides churches and schools with a chance to register a protest--which effectively kills a bar or restaurant's chances of getting a liquor license--against any establishment within a 900-foot radius which is considering serving liquor.

Adams, Quincy and Lowell Houses and the Freshman Union are within 900 feet of St. Paul's Catholic Church on Arrow St. and Manter Hall School on Mt. Auburn St.

Unaware

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, and Richard Schneider, the office of Government and Community Affairs official who is in charge of the House liquor license program, both said yesterday that they were not aware of the law.

Edward Murray S.J., pastor of St. Paul's, said yesterday that if any of the Houses near the church apply for a liquor license he will ask his parish council to decide whether to lodge a protest with the Cambridge liquor license commission.

Murray said he doubts that the council will protest liquor licenses for the Houses. He said he feels a "sense of family" with the Houses.

The parish council did not protest when Charley's Place on Bow St., a block away from St. Paul's got its liquor license. Murray said Charley's Place offered to make a donation to St. Paul's just before the parish council discussed the case, but that he refused the money.

Schneider said he has not finalized any plans for giving the Houses liquor licenses.