Celtics Romp Over Cleveland; Nelson, Chaney Spark Victory

The Boston Celtics vaulted to an 18 point lead in the first seven minutes and proceeded to whip the Cleveland Cavaliers, 128-110 at the Boston Garden last night.

Don Nelson and Don Chaney sparked an aggressive running game in avenging the Celtics of a loss to the Cleveland club last Sunday.

Nelson scored eight points and Chaney converted two steals into baskets while tallying seven points as the Celts broke open a 13-2 lead which grew to 25-8 in the first quarter.

But Cleveland's Austin Carr led a significant comeback in the second period, scoring four field goals for the Cavaliers who trimmed the Celtic lead to 10 points, 65-55, at halftime.

Boston nullified the charge, outscoring the Cavaliers, 42-28, in the third quarter. John Havlicek, Dave Cowens and Jo Jo White unloaded 24 points for a 107-83 Celtic lead.

Cowens and White each finished with 21 points to top the Celtic scorers, and Chaney had 17. Austin Carr led the Cavaliers with 26 points while Bobby Smith had 14 and Bob Rule 13.

The Celts host Rick Barry and the Golden State Warriors on Friday before traveling to Atlanta for a game with the Hawks on Saturday.

Elsewhere in the National Basketball Association last night, Detroit defeated Seattle, 114-107.

In the American Basketball Association, Kentucky toppled San Diego, 146-105.