Freshman Booters Fight Back To Suppress Spirited Andover

The freshman soccer team battled back from an early deficit yesterday to slip by Andover, 3-2, and up its season's mark to 4-1.

The game was not an impressive performance for the Crimson. The victory could be attributed more to Andover's lackluster play than to any outstanding offensive or defensive effort by Harvard.

The first ten minutes of the contest foreshadowed a long afternoon for Harvard. With less than a minute gone in the first quarter, Andover's George Moher took a pass from teammate David Updike and dented the net for a 1-0 Andover lead.

Less than ten minutes later, Moher reciprocated Updike's generosity as he fed Updike in front of the Harvard goal to increase the lead to 2-0.

Things turned Harvard's way during the remainder of the period, mainly because of the play of Mark Zimering. Zimering switched to right-wing from his usual center position and broke in for two unassisted goals to even the score at the quarter's end.

Zimering's first goal came when he stole an Andover pass and rifled a shot into the net. His second came when he deflected a halfback pass over the head of the Andover fullback and trickled the shot past Andover's lunging goalie.

Defense was the name of the game in the second and third periods. Ball control seesawed with domination switching around the ten minute mark in each quarter. Both goalies played exceptionally well, thwarting any attack that the opposing offenses could muster.

Andover appeared headed for victory early in the final quarter. The prep school team pressured the Harvard goal until, with ten minutes left, its momentum subsided. Two minutes later, Harvard's Mike Lohrer centered a pass in front of the Andover net, and Rob Grant booted it in for the gamewinner.