J.V., Frosh Gridders to Battle Tigers

Spirited Yardlings Are Geared for Upset Bid

The Harvard junior varsity and freshman football teams, stung by convincing defeats at the hands of Dartmouth two weeks ago, will attempt to rebound today against Princeton in games to be played here at 10:30 a.m.

The freshman game promises to be the more spirited of the two. Princeton's frosh bring an impressive 3-1 record to Cambridge, having dropped only their opening contest against Rutgers. Last week they bashed Columbia, 55-14.

Up and Down

The Harvard freshmen have been struggling through an up-and-down season. They opened the year by spanking Boston University and followed with a 21-20 upset of Boston College. But in their third game they faltered badly, bowing to Dartmouth, 33-6.

Crimson coach Chet O'Neill, however, anticipates a strong Harvard showing in today's contest. "Princeton will be the toughest team we've faced all year," he said yesterday, "but I have a feeling that we'll be more ready for this game than any other. The kids have shown me a lot of hard work and enthusiasm in practice this week."

The Crimson offensive attack should be bolstered by the return of previously injured running back Tommy Wynn. O'Neill looks to quarterback Steve O'Brien and split end Jim Curry to supply aerial firepower.

On defense, Harvard faces the task of containing Princeton's option game, and must also worry about a fine pair of Tiger receivers, Dan Furnier and Todd Jacobson.

Much of the responsibility for stacking up this varied attack falls to the Crimson's adjuster, Bill Emper. As adjuster, Emper must function effectively both as a linebacker and defensive back.

The junior varsity game matches a winless Harvard squad against Princeton's 1-1 team. Offensive success in the contest depends on the arm of Crimson quarterback Doug Gordon and the receiving talents of Tom Hagerty and Dave Dobbs. Gordon can also call on running backs Al Yates and John Flood.

Injuries have depleted Harvard's interior lines, and the Crimson J.V.s may have only one legitimate defensive lineman available for duty at game time. They should have their hands full trying to stop a Tiger attack which features quarterback John Murray and split end John Gropp.

Win or lose, the J.V. game will give many players a welcome break from the routine of practice. Both Harvard and Princeton view J.V. games as a way of giving game experience to many of the players not likely to see action in the varsity contest.

As Doug Gordon explained yesterday, "It's real low-key. We get no scouting reports and run only basic plays. Nothing new is used. We save that for the varsity game in the afternoon."