ANTI-RACISM

The Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In the past few years there has been an increasing amount of discussion of possible statistical differences in I.Q. between races in the research literature, the popular press and the classroom. These differences have been advanced by some as explanations of a variety of social ills ranging from unemployment to ghetto living conditions. It has appeared clear to many of us that it is important to have wide public discussion of the arguments and issues involved by informed workers in several fields of science.

The Harvard Committee against Racism (C.A.R.) is a group of faculty and students formed to sponsor public examination and criticism of the basis for these alleged racial and class differences in ability and to explore the consequences for social and educational programs.

The C.A.R. has planned a series of forums to discuss various aspects of this wide-ranging topic. Forums will deal with the economics of discrimination and with racism in education. The first forum is being co-sponsored by the Colloquium Board of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, the Harvard School of Education Student Association, Harvard-Radcliffe Afro, and Scientists and Engineers for Social and Political Action.

The Harvard Committee against Racism feels that a thorough and reasoned discussion of these issues will contribute to our aim of eliminating all forms of racial discrimination in order to achieve full social equality. The Committee Against Racism

(The C.A.R. is supported by H-R Afro, S.E.S.P.A., and the Colloquium Board and the Student Board of the Graduate School of Education. It's members include Ronald Edmunds, Steven Gould, Luigi Gorini, David Laper, Richard Lewontin, William Paul, Wesley Profit and Allan Tobin.)