Injured Booters Deadlock Princeton; Tigers Come Back to Tie Harvard, 1-1

By Efthimios O. Vidalis

The soccer fan who braved the cold and the wind Saturday to watch the Harvard-Princeton game was rewarded with a fast moving, crisp passing match that left the Crimson deadlocked 1-1 with the Tigers.

The Crimson started with its normal lineup with the exception of Ric LaCivita, who was sidelined because of a knee injury. The Crimson quickly established control of the midfield and started creating scoring opportunities.

Bob Auritt, playing with a coccyx injury, and Steve Hines were outstanding in establishing firm control of the midfield. At 13:45 of the first half, Auritt hit a cross pass which Tony VanNiel, playing with a foot injury, headed into the right corner of the Princeton goal.

The play, which brought back memories of Harvard teams of the past, gave the Crimson a 1-0 lead.

The Crimson took full advantage of the favorable wind and kept peppering the Princeton goal. The booters shot 11 times on goal, forcing Tiger goalie Paul Helfenstein to make seven saves in the first half.

Princeton had three scoring opportunities in the first half but they were stopped by fullbacks Lawson Wulsin and Brian Fearnett, who turned in solid performances for the Crimson.

Steve Kidder, playing with an ankle injury, made only one save before he limped off of the field with 15 minutes remaining in the half. Jim McKenna replaced him at the goal but was forced to make only one save.

In the second half, however, Harvard not only had to contend with the wind and increased Princeton pressure, but also with injuries, which started taking their toll.

Bob Auritt did not start in the second half and at one point in the game there were seven sophomores playing for Harvard. McKenna was pressured and had to make five saves while the Tigers shot eight times on goal.

After 17 minutes Bob Auritt, who played for ten minutes in the second half, kicked a corner kick and in the ensuing scramble the booters pressured the Tiger goal. Princeton fullback Steve Tobolski cleared the ball to midfield, where forward Chip Caine dribbled it downfield pursued by Fearnett and Wulsin. Fearnett caught up with him and blocked his shot. The ball was rolling smoothly toward the goal when all of a sudden Princeton forward Jim Hansen, who was trailing, appeared on the scene to chip the ball with the outside of his foot.

McKenna dove but the ball eased into the far corner of the goal, approximately a foot away from McKenna's reach.

The score was tied 1-1 with ample time left for either team to score and win. Both teams came close to scoring but Princeton had the edge in ball-control.

With 14 minutes left in the game Tony VanNiel left the game because of an ailing foot. Harvard coach Bruce Munro rearranged his lineup and placed Fearnett at center forward. Princeton constantly shadowed Fearnett with Marc Sobel and went double coverage when Fearnett had the ball.

Fearnett created a scoring opportunity when he shot a nice cross-pass which Crimson forward Mario Gobbo headed out over the horizontal goal post.

The score did not change and the game ended to the chagrin of both coaches. "It was clear that we should have won." Princeton coach Bill Muse said.

"If only we didn't have so many injuries....," said Munro.

The 1-1 tie makes Harvard's Ivy league record 2-2-1, and barring any more injuries the Crimson should play a good game against Brown Friday. Brown defeated Princeton 1-0 Saturday on a penalty kick.