Heart Researcher At Medical School Wins Major Prize

By Peter J. Ferrara

Dr. Paul M. Zoll, professor of Medicine, is one of two scientists who will receive the 28th annual Albert Lasker Clinical Research Award in New York today. Zoll won the award for his work on the electrical control of heart rhythm which led to the development of the pacemaker.

Zoll's research began in 1952 when he was the first to demonstrate that a heart can be induced to resume beating by electrical stimulation.

Father of the Defibrillator

Later, Zoll invented an electrical device known as a defibrillator. This device allows doctors to control erratic heartbeats without surgery.

In addition, he developed a technique for continuous cardiac monitoring and was the first physician to apply it clinically.

Zoll's theories on electrically controlled heart rhythm later led to the development of the pacemaker, a device implanted in the body that emits electrical charges to regularize heart beats. More than 100,000 Americans are using pacemakers today.

The entire coronary care unit found in most modern hospitals is based on Zoll's work, the award citation said.

Dr. William Bennet Kouwenhouer, professor emeritus of engineering at John Hopkins University, also won an award for his development of the heart massage.

The award winners will each receive $10,000 and a gold statuette of the Winged victory of Samothrace.