Drastic Changes in Technique Mark Crimson Hoop Program

By Joel Feldman

The Harvard basketball program has become more cohesive, organized, and rigorous under coach Tom Sanders, according to captain Tony Jenkins. Jenkins said in an interview yesterday that drastic changes in coaching techniques have taken place since the dismissal of former mentor, Bob Harrison.

Jenkins said the most noticeable difference between the two coaching styles has been Sanders's emphasis on defense.

"Coach Harrison didn't spend nearly the amount of time on defense as coach Sanders does. Seventy-five per cent of our practice time is spent on individual and team defense this year, whereas last year, most of our practices were devoted to open scrimmages," he said.

Classroom Practice

Sanders's practices are like a classroom, Jenkins said. During practices Sanders has been conscious of developing basic fundamentals. Jenkins added that Sanders has made a point to "stress seriousness and dedication and a putting forth of effort."

Jenkins also commented on the firing of Harrison. Jenkins said the dismissal of Harrison was a tragic but necessary step taken by the Department of Athletics.

"In view of the circumstances and the future of the program, Harrison had to be let go. He had lost the respect of the ballplayers both as a coach and a main. Things came up which could not be remedied."

Jenkins said that he held no animosity towards Harrison, and that as an individual Harrison had been well liked. Jenkins called Harrison a "beautiful person" but said that this personality could not make up for his deficiencies as a coach. Jenkins added that a coach must blend leadership and ability into his makeup and that Harrison failed to do this.

Lack Size

Jenkins said he thinks this year's squad lacks the overall talent of the previous one. "Physically, there is not comparable talent to last season's. There is a lack of overall size and we suffer from even less bench strength than last year."

The lack of talent will force Harvard to rely on what Jenkins termed "discipline." Sanders' major stress on the offensive game has been to curtail the number of turnovers. He has also concentrated on man-to-man coverage in defensive drills.

Harvard basketball under Tom Sanders will be unveiled on December 1 at UMass. "We can only speculate on the coming season. We'll have to wait to see the results," Jenkins concluded.