Ellmann Refuses Professorship, Decides to Remain in England

By Charles E. Shepard

Richard Ellmann, author of the definitive biography of James Joyce, has decided to remain in England and to refuse an offer to join the Harvard Faculty.

Ellmann, Goldsmith Professor at New College in Oxford, notified the Administration of his decision late this summer. Alan E. Heimert, chairman of the English Department, said Wednesday.

Heimert said the English Department had recommended Ellmann for a professorship last fall "on the basis of considerable indications that he [Ellmann] might come back." Ellmann made these indications when he visited Cambridge in June, 1972, Heimert said.

Ellmann, reached last Friday in London, said he had received many "tempting offers" to teach. "I don't feel in the end that I wanted to leave." He said last March that he "loves it here" in England.

Ellmann spent five years at Harvard as an instructor and assistant professor of English before leaving in 1951. He has taught English and Irish literature at Oxford for three years.

Ellmann said in March he left Harvard in 1951 because he "had no clear assurance that I would be kept on, so I decided to try another college."

His detailed biography of Joyce won the 1960 National Book Award. Ellmann has also published criticisms of the works of Oscar Wilde and W. B. Yeats.