Rosovsky's Debut Draws A Full House

THE FACULTY:

By Charles E. Shepard

In the old days Faculty meetings were big time: professors of all shapes, sizes and departments piled en masse into the large lecture halls for prolonged debates. But the seventies have brought changes, especially lower attendance. The problem became so bad that beginning this fall a number of Faculty members are being required to attend meetings.

Ironically the quorum problems of last year disappeared last week, at least temporarily. Tuesday, in the first meeting of the year, a standing-room only crowd of Faculty members filled the second floor chamber of University Hall to see the debut of their new dean, Henry Rosovsky.

And an impressive show it was. The Faculty whipped through its packed agenda, barely running past its 6 p.m. deadline. Rosovsky handled his presentation of the budget--which told the Faculty to pinch pennies and students to get out their wallets--without the slightest hint of jitters.

Rosovsky wasn't the only reason for the meeting's fast pace. The agenda hardly provoked controversy, especially the proposal to change regulations on grading junior tutorials. The motion, which passed with only a smattering of nays, says departments may now petition the Faculty Council for permission to change the grading of their junior tutorials from letters to satisfactory/unsatisfactory.

The Faculty then considered another non-controversial motion which asked President Bok to appoint a student-faculty Council on the Arts which will supervise extra-curricular, arts-related activities. After some insignificant debate, the Faculty voted approval, with but one, lone nay.

Before approving a new compromise retirement policy, the Faculty voted to establish a standing committee to advise professors and administrators on questions of privacy, accessibility and security of records. During the debate on the motion. Rosovsky, recounted the day he was asked by an FBI man to describe the political beliefs of a former student of his applying for a government job. "I don't think that's germane." Rosovsky said he replied.

The FBI man, puzzled by the reply, responded. "What does germane mean."