Fall Intramural Athletics: Lowell House Shines

By Dennis P. Corbett

This afternoon in New Haven, Harvard's various fall intramural champions and runners-up will do battle with Yale's best teams, in the traditional kickoff to Harvard-Yale festivities. Undoubtedly, the biggest surprise to the Bulldogs will be the prominence of Lowell House teams.

Until last year, Harvard House intramural athletics were dominated by winthrop and Eliot. They have shared the Straus trophy, awarded to the overall intramural champion, for the last seven years.

Lowell Takes Two

But Lowell House has claimed championships in two of four sports this fall, tackle and touch football, and placed second in soccer.

The Lowell tackle football team finished the season with a spotless 6-0 record. Relying on solid defensive and offensive line play, spearheaded by Jim Jagger, and the versatility of quarterback Jerry Harper, the team has not been scored on in its six victories.

Platoons

In touch football, Lowell uses a two-platoon system, freely alternating offensive and defensive teams. Most of the players participated on last year's team, and the experience showed in the 19-15 victory over Eliot House last week which insured their second straight touch football championship.

The intramural soccer crown was captured this year by Winthrop House. Strong play at midfield and a sharp passing game allowed Winthrop to control most of its opponents during the regular season in the championship game, Winthrop narrowly defeated Lowell, 1-0.

Eliot House repeated as cross-country champions this fall, overwhelming lesser teams with their numbers. Only one Eliot man finished in the top 15 of this year's race, but the crucial points were won by bunches of Eliot harriers farther back in the pack.

Opportunities

Although Lowell House's resurgence has been the highlight of the intramural season intramurals at Harvard mean more than a chase after the Straus trophy. They represent important athletic opportunity for some Harvard students.

Most teams are a blend of various athletic talents. Tackle football teams are composed of former Harvard players, old high school players, and those who have long awaited their opportunity to shine on the gridiron. Winthrop's championship soccer team includes a tutor from Scandinavia, and James Vorenberg '49, master of Dunster House, has participated in several sports.

No Time

David Greely, athletic secretary of Eliot House, explained yesterday why intramurals attract many varsity-caliber athletes. "For some athletes, varsity sports takes too much time. They can't spend all day at Dillon Field House. Intramurals, on the other hand, takes only an hour or two twice a week," he said.

Hugh Zackheim, Lowell's athletic secretary, notices another trend in his House. "The reputation of Lowell House as strictly intellectual is proving invalid. People are finding out that there is more here than just studying.

No Stars

Frank Gerold, a member of Winthrop's soccer team, commented yesterday, "I feel closer to the Winthrop soccer players than I did to J.V. and varsity players last year. Everybody gets a chance to play and there are no real stars. I hadn't met a lot of these guys before the season and it's been very friendly."

John Gierak, athletic secretary of perenially low-finishing Dunster House, echoed Gerold's sentiment. "There aren't many jocks in Dunster House. English majors and drama are very big. But the people that do play are very spirited. Our motto is 'Don't let winning get in the way of a good time."'