Bullpups Trip Freshmen; Grid Rally Fizzles, 20-19

By Dennis P. Corbett

The Harvard freshman football team, trailing Yale's Bulldogs by ten points early in the fourth quarter, staged a furious late rally before succumbing 20-19, in a game played last Wednesday in New Haven. The yardlings close the season with a 4-2 record.

The game started as a defensive slugfest, neither team managing a touchdown in the first half. Yale led at intermission, 6-3, on the strength of Randy Carter's field goals of 27 and 43 yards. Jim Curry booted a 20-yarder for the Crimson.

Yale threatened to blow the game open early in the second half when halfback Mike Rose cruised 17 yards for a touchdown and a 13-3 lead. But Harvard unveiled a wishbone running attack for the first time this season and began ripping the Eli defense for big yardage.

Crimson fullback Tom Lincoln finally cracked through the Bulldog secondary on a 65-yard touchdown scamper late in the third quarter. But Yale retaliated two minutes into the fourth period as Rose again scored, this time from the one-yard line.

Trailing 20-10, the Crimson put together two drives. Tom Winn capped the first one by squirming four yards for a touchdown. Jim Curry's extra point made it 20-17.

Following a Yale punt, the yardlings then moved from their own 12-yard line to the Eli four, where they faced a crucial fourth and goal. Crimson coach Chet O'Neill elected to go for the victory rather than a tying field goal, but quarterback Steve O'Brien was dumped for a sevenyard loss while trying to pass. A meaningless Yale safety at the end of the game closed out the scoring.

In the battle of the statistics, Harvard nearly doubled the Bulldogs' total offense, churning out 406 yards to Yale's 213. Tom Lincoln rushed for 98 yards and durable Tom Winn picked up 93.