Radcliffe Protests CHUL Discussion Of Ending Freshman Year at Currier

By R. W. Palmer

Over 400 Currier and North House residents have signed a petition protesting the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) discussion of a proposal not to assign freshmen to Currier next fall.

The petition began circulating in the three Radcliffe Houses last Tuesday in reaction to one proposal which was discussed by CHUL's Subcommittee on the Freshman Year last Monday, Stephen Cohn '75, chairman of the Currier House committee, said yesterday.

Sarah Crichton '75, Currier's representative to CHUL and a member of the freshman year subcommittee, last week termed the petition a "pre-battle, defensive measure" in response to the CHUL discussion. Crichton said the removal of freshmen from Currier was raised when the subcommittee considered various methods for filling the new freshman dormitory under construction.

If freshmen are not assigned to Currier next year, upperclassmen from all three Radcliffe Houses would fill their places and the upperclass assignment to the former Hotel Continental would be reduced, Crichton said. An alternative proposal is to place approximately 100 upperclassmen in the Yard to fill the spaces created by the new dormitory, she said.

Cohn said the petition rejects "any plan which substantially reduces the number of freshmen" in the Radcliffe Houses and cites the integration of freshmen into the Radcliffe Houses as "vital."