Penn Hosts Crimson Eleven in Key Game Today

Crimson Faces Decisive Game Against Unbeaten Penn Eleven

Dumped from the unbeaten ranks by a 24-18 loss to Dartmouth last weekend, Harvard's football team faces a pivotal point in its season this Saturday when it travels to Philadelphia to take on Ivy leader Penn.

"We can't afford another loss and still hope to remain a contender in the league," Crimson coach Joe Restic said this week. "We're on the downhill side of the schedule now, and a win or a loss will produce momentum either way."

Last year, the Crimson entered the Penn game unbeaten in Ivy play after a tie with Dartmouth. When the Red and Blue's Adolph Bellizeare ran wild in a 38-27 upset, it set the tone for the remainder of the season, as Harvard lost three of its last four games to finish in the Ivy second division.

"If we win at Philadelphia," Restic said, "everything is wide open again. If we lose, it's going to be difficult to stay in the picture."

Disappointment

Last week's loss to Dartmouth came as a distinct disappointment to Restic and his squad. The Crimson had entered the game a decisive favorite to post its first victory in the series since 1968.

After turning a Dartmouth fumble into a field goal in the opening moments, Harvard appeared well on its way to a win. But the Big Green marched 80 yards in four plays on the next series, scored three times in the second period, and held a 24-3 margin at halftime. In the second half Dartmouth made the points stand up.

"We gave up too much too easily too early," Restic said. "You can't expect to come back and make up that kind of deficit. Our people almost did though. You have to admire the character it took to make that kind of rally."

But character or no character, today's game is the key to the rest of the Harvard season. "This is the ball game for us this fall," Restic said. "If we win it, we're back in the picture. If we lost, Penn gets well out in front and they'll be difficult for anyone to catch."

Bellizeare

Last year Bellizeare picked up 203 yards and a pair of touchdowns against the Crimson. Bellizeare is now nursing hip and knee injuries. Nevertheless, Restic is plotting his defensive strategy as if Bellizeare were at full strength.

"We have to shut Bellizeare off as best we can," he said. "Penn is a different football team when he's in there."

Bellizeare, who missed last week's game with Princeton, ranks second in the league in rushing with 94 carries for 429 yards. He has also scored four touchdowns.

Powerful Offense

But with or without the elusive halfback, Penn has firepower on offense. And one of the biggest threats the Quakers can offer is the Marty Vaughn-to-Don Clune aerial attack. Vaughn is having a good year, throwing for 823 yards and seven touch-downs, and completing 47 of 84 passes.

Clune, who scored touchdowns of 73, 32, and 73 yards against Harvard two years ago, ranks second in receptions in the league with 26 for 481 yards and four touchdowns.

Vaughn is the third leading passer in the Ivies. And to go with Clune, Penn has senior Bob Bucola as a major threat. Bucola has caught 14 passes for 320 yards and two touchdowns.

Today's game will match the Ivy's top offense (Harvard) against its third best defense (Penn), and the league's second-best offense (Penn) against the top defense (Harvard).

Harvard will be in good health for the game. Guard Bob Kircher sat out the Dartmouth game with a foot injury, but should be ready. Alky Tsitsos, nursing a badly bruised thigh, will miss the contest and will be replaced by Steve Dart.

[This incisive prognostication was prepared by John Powers, assistant director of sports information.]