Tight Ivy Football Campaign Continues

Today's forecast for New England weather is overcast and the outlook in the Ivy League football race is equally cloudy. The Ivy winner was not determined last year until the last week of the season and another tight championship contest seems likely this season.

As the campaign reaches its halfway mark this weekend, Penn alone remains undefeated with a 3-0 record, while Harvard, Yale, and defending champion Dartmouth are all only one game behind with 2-1 records.

All of these teams are still very much in contention and a three-way tie for first place is possible after today's games.

Harvard travels to Penn today to take on a tough, unbeaten Quaker team. This is the key game of the weekend and may prove to be the key game of the season.

If Penn stays unbeaten, they will be the unquestioned Ivy leader. But if the Crimson wins, Harvard, Penn, and the winner of the Dartmouth-Yale game will all have 3-1 records.

The Elis invade Hanover for only the third time in history. Yale posted an impressive victory over Cornell last Saturday and Dartmouth is still high after their upset victory over the Crimson. The Eli's Tom Doyle, Ivy Back of the Week, will be running against a mediocre Dartmouth defense.

Cornell with a 1-2 record will be struggling to get back into contention against a weak Columbia team in Ithaca, and Brown will take on winless Princeton.

The individual statistics in the Ivy League are as nearly even as the team standings.

The only solid leader in offense is still Cornell's senior quarterback, Mark Allen. He has completed 47 of 113 attempted passes for 554 yards and added 24 yards rushing for a league-leading total of 578 yards.

Yale's Rudy Green, a junior halfback, holds the individual rushing record with 246 yards, only 10 more yards than Penn sensation Adolph Bellizeare of Dorchester who sat out last week's game.

Crimson junior halfback Alky Tsitsos is the league's high scorer with 24 points in three games, just four more than Brown sophomore kicker Jose Violante.