Yardlings Wallop Boston State As Horton, Bell Tally Twice

By Randy K. Mays

The meager crowd that showed up yesterday afternoon at Watson Rink to watch the Harvard freshman hockey squad trounce Boston State was given its money's worth. The yardlings had an easy victory over State, taking their first match, 5-2.

Coach Tim Taylor's squad outclassed the Boston State team in every respect: State was outskated, outshot and outdefended.

The match got off to an even start, with Harvard and State scoring in quick succession--it was the closest the two teams' scores would be all afternoon.

Halfway through the period, Harvard's Dave Bell assisted Bill Horton in a goal, pushing Harvard into a 2-1 lead that it was to maintain the rest of the match. Less than a minute later Horton, again with an assist from Bell, widened Harvard's lead to 3-1, which was unchanged in the remainder of the period.

Harvard goalkeeper Brian Petrovek was always several moves ahead of everyone, including his own teammates. He stopped what looked like a sure point for State when the puck flew between Crimson defenseman Pierre Paquette's legs toward the net. Petrovek was there, however, as he usually was throughout the match.

Harvard tallied its fourth goal 16 minutes into the second period when Bill MacKenzie slapped in a shot unassisted. Harvard's final point came two minutes into the third period by Mike Leckie, assisted by Horton and Bell.

Boston State scored its second and final point when Gerry Austin, assisted by Don Pacific, spotted a chink in Petrovek's armor and slapped in a shot.

State coach Bob Barry wasn't too unhappy with his team's performance yesterday. Asked to assess the match, he said, "Well, I'm just pleased Harvard didn't blow us out of the rink."