Grad Students Pick Committees, Plan To Air Grievances

By Seth M. Kupferberg

The Panel of Graduate Electors, the organization which called the open meeting that revitalized the Graduate Students and Teaching Fellows Union last spring, held its first business meeting for this year yesterday.

The panel picked student members for several GSAS committees and established a grievance committee.

GSAS students chose new representatives to the panel in departmental elections held during the last three weeks. Panel members serve on the Commission on Graduate Education, an Appeals Board which adjudicates student complaints about financial aid, and the GSAS's Committee on Long Range Planning.

The 40 delegates at yesterday's meeting chose members of these committees, a steering committee and a grievance committee to seek redress for student complaints, especially about insufficient financial aid.

About half of the members chosen belonged to the graduate students' union when it struck last spring in opposition to the Kraus financial aid plan.

Most speakers at yesterday's meeting who did not belong to the union expressed support for its aims, while criticizing it for not generating broad student support. Three of the students chosen for the Commission on Graduate Education--Larry F. Vaughan, Barry J. Harrington, and Daniel E. Garber--were active in the union last spring, along with several steering committee members.

Most of the delegates chosen by the panel pledged to work for larger and more equitably distributed financial aid to graduate students, and greater GSAS responsiveness to student interests.