Fencers Rally in Third Round To Overtake Brooklyn College

Sparked by three wins in the usually weak sabre, Harvard's fencers came from behind to gain a convincing 18-9 win over Brooklyn College Friday in the IAB.

Following a neck and neck first round Brooklyn pulled ahead and seemed to have the meet all sewn up. But the Crimson would not give up, and came on with a strong third round showing to snatch victory away from Brooklyn. Harvard pulled off an incredible ten wins in a row in the final round.

The sabre squad was able to win five out of nine of its matches against Brooklyn, something it has had difficulty in doing in the past. Loren Joseph beat two of his three opponents, while Larry Tu, Steve Hobbs and Mike Szymonifka each earned one victory.

In foil action, it was Howie Weiss that led the way with a sweep of his three bouts. Weiss has been a solid performer for the team all season. Tom Sharpe took care of two of his three opponents, while John Major had a single win.

Epee, which is one of the team's strong suits, had the most total wins with seven. Captain Eugene White and Sam Anderson both overwhelmed the opposition with three wins, while Mat Simmons picked up a single point against Brooklyn.

White characterized the victory as "convincing" despite the second round lag. "It was really a great last round effort by the team," he said.