Whitlock Says Ad Board Will Not end 1974 Spring-Term Leaves of Absence

By Mark J. Penn

The Administrative Board is not considering any action which will affect spring leaves for next semester, Dean Whitlock said yesterday.

Whitlock said the board has informally discussed ending one-term leaves in the spring, but this suggestion will not affect this year's requests for leaves.

President Bok said Tuesday he favors exploring alternatives to prohibiting one-semester spring-term leaves of absence to alleviate overcrowding in the houses.

The housing problem caused by spring-term leaves results from an imbalance in housing conditions caused by large numbers of students attending school only in the fall.

Whitlock said the board has talked about and will consider adapting the Princeton plan--a program which admits 30 to 40 students each year to study only for one spring semester.

John R. Marquand, assistant dean of students, said yesterday he considers a $100 non-refundable deposit preferable to eliminating spring leaves.

"This would create an economic incentive for students to fulfill their pledges to return," Marquand said.

Whitlock said that the Administrative Board will probably discuss policy on leaves of absence in January.