Matmen Meet UMass, Hofstra Today

By James Cramer

Harvard's frustrated varsity meatmen will vie for their second win today at U Mass's Boy den Gym in a triangular meet against U Mass and national power Hofstra University.

Although Hofstra is expected to top the Crimson, U Mass looks like a sure bet to add another loss to their un-illustrative 1-4 record.

Coach John Lee, working his grapplers hard after a give away loss against B.U. (23-17) Thursday, said yesterday he hopes to give Hofstra a little competition in their 4 p.m. match-up.

Emphasizes Wrestling

"Hofstra really emphasizes wrestling," Lee said. "They play all the nationally ranked teams like Iowa State and the University of Oklahoma, and they always give them a good fight."

UMass has already beaten Yale, but it succumbed to Bucknell --a team that Harvard had topped earlier in the season, "UMass is much more on our level than Hofstra," Lee said.

A mounting list of injuries will force the Crimson to go with two different lineups for the triangular contest. Weak knees will force Mitchell Silver man at 126 1bs. and Bill Haley at 134 1bs. to wrestle only against Hofstra for Harvard.

However, the rest of the lightweight roster is the same against both schools, with senior captain Dan Blakinger leading off the match at 118 1bs. Blakinger has already compiled a 5-0 log, and he looks like a definite five points against both clubs.

Spell Silverman

Milton Yasunga will spell Silver man at 120 lbs. against U Mass. Freshman Yasunga, a two-time Hawaiian high school champion, is also favored in his U Mass contest.

Junior Carl Bill, 3-1-1 on the year, will wrestle at the 134 lb. slot for the Crimson, and George Baker, 4-1, at 142 1bs., will round out a strong lightweight outfit.

"The lightweights have been performing great this year," Lee said. "They have the potential to win right down the line tomorrow."

Gebhard Injured

Freshmen Jim Gebhard, hampered by an elbow injury, and Chris Kimball will try to improve on their 500 records at 158 1bs. and 167 1bs. Although fine wrestlers, their inexperience has cost them several key bouts in Harvard's last five meets.

John Keough and Jim Stammerer will wrestle as 167 and 177 pounders, and Bruce Johnson will grapple in the 190 division.

The Crimson can expect to have trouble again today in their vulnerable heavyweight slot. The inexperienced Kim Smith, 0-4-1 for the season, will have a tough time going against whoever Hofstra throws into the heavy category.

Football center Carl Cling, still not in top meatman condition, will try to round into shape against U Mass.

"No doubt about it, the heavyweights are our weak points, but they are likely to start winning pretty soon," Lee said. "Cling is very scrappy--he won't be pinned, and Smith is only a freshman so we'll just have to wait on him."