Harvard to Begin 'Mothballing' To Save Energy Over Recess

By Mark J. Penn

The University's energy-conservation steps are going into effect without any hitches as the school begins its extended Christmas recess today.

Richard G. Leahy, associate dean for resources and planning, said yesterday that the University's plan to "mothball" many facilities and keep dormitory temperatures at 62 degrees was proceeding "without any surprises."

Leahy said, however, that the University's energy situation for February is still "completely uncertain." Present contingency plans call for a week-long vacation commencing February 18 if the University faces increased fuel cutbacks.

Dean Whitlock's office released yesterday a letter advising students of the University's schedule of operation during the extended vacation. Students who have meal contracts will be permitted only in the Freshman Union from January 7-12, the notice said.

Last-Minute Change

A last-minute change not appearing on the schedule is the extension of the Science Center Library's hours until 10 p.m. during most of the vacation, Leahy said. All other libraries will close at 5 p.m.

A librarian in the Science Center said yesterday the change was made "to provide students living in cold rooms with a warm place to study."

Although the University will close the Indoor Athletic Building, the Palmer-Dixon Tennis Courts, Watson Rink and parts of the Dillon Field House will remain open during the vacation.