Notre Dame Game To Follow Tourney

After participating in the St. Louis Invitational Tournament, the Crimson hockey team hits the road for a following day matchup against Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind.

The contest will mark only the second time in fifty years that the two schools have met in hockey. The only other game was won by Harvard, 7-0, in 1923.

The Irish were rated third in the country in pre-season collegiate hockey polls but early season injuries have been a major factor in the team's current dismal record of 4-8-1.

Many of these players will be back a full strength for the game with the Crimson. Notre Dame is paced by high scoring senior right wing Ray DeLorenz who has already netted eight goals and 1 assists this year.

DeLorenzi was a key player on last season's squad which came on strong a the end of the campaign only to drop two overtime games to the eventual intercollegiate champions, Wisconsin, in the double elimination western playoffs for the nationals. The Irish also boast a schoolboy star from the Cambridge area, Brian "Dukie" Walsh, who played his high school hockey at Matignon. Walsh is the center of Notre Dame's first line and now fourth in team scoring with a 13-game total of nine goals and five assists.

Harvard is still pulling to employ center Leigh Hogan and left wing Jim Thomas in the St. Louis tournament and the Notre Dame game. Both are recovering from injuries that kept them out of the B.U. game. Hogan is nursing a groin pull an Thomas has been out with a spraine ankle.

Crimson coach Billy Cleary has been in the habit of alternating goaltenders Jim Murray and John Aiken in the net the season. According to Cleary, this practice is expected to continue throughout the Midwestern swing.