Radcliffe Squash Team Splits Matches With Wellesley, Smith

Radcliffe split a pair of squash matches at Hemenway Gym yesterday afternoon, taking it on the chin against Wellesley 6 to 4 and beating Smith 7 to 3.

The 'Cliffe, now holding a record of 2-4 in intercollegiate competition, was again paced by the steady play of Capt. Lee Howard. Howard, who is undefeated this season, topped her Wellesley opponent 15-10, 12-15, 15-4, 15-7. She followed up her first match by beating the number one Smith player 15-8, 15-4, 15-7.

Sally Lee and Donna Lilly also won both of their matches in yesterday's play.

Losing Streak

The win against Smith broke a 4-game losing streak for the 'Cliffe, which had lost successive games to St. Paul's, Dartmouth, Trinity and Wellesley.

The team has been hurt by the loss of their numbers two, three and four players. Claire Stuart, number two, has left the team while traveling to Peru, Lorraine Uhlaner and Beth Goddard, numbers three and four, have both been out of action due to illness.

Bright Spot

The play of Howard has been the bright spot of the Radcliffe season thus far. She possesses the team's lone undefeated record and will represent Radcliffe in the National Women's Singles Open at Hemenway Gym on February 23-25. The singles tournament selects its field from the top women players in the nation, inviting 32 participants.

On March 2-4, the 'Cliffe will send a five-women squad to the NCAA tournament at Wesleyan.

In addition to playing an intercollegiate schedule, Radcliffe also participates in the Massachusetts Evening League, where they have an A, B, and C team.

The next match will be at Phillips Exeter Academy on Wednesday, February 14 at 4 p.m.