Womack to Move Strong Resolution Attacking Bombing

John Womack Jr. '59, professor of History, is slated to introduce a strongly-worded resolution at today's Faculty meeting that condemns the December American bombing of North Vietnam and calls for reparations for the Indochinese people who have suffered at the hands of the American government.

The resolution reads, in part, "The Faculty of Arts and Sciences expresses its revulsion at the terrorist bombing inflicted last December by the government of our country, and condems all the wanton destruction of cities, towns and villages that our government has caused in Indochina for the past eight years."

It expresses "profound gratitude" over the case-fire agreement, calls for the continued withdrawal of U.S. forces from Vietnam, and urges an end to military actions in Laos and Cambodia.

The resolution concludes by appealing to President Nixon and the U.S. Congress to "make all the reparations in their power to make" to the Indochinese people "who have suffered our government's devastations."

Womack said yesterday he did not feel the resolution was excessively worded. "I toned it down," he said. "The December bombing was terrorist. Those were war crimes by any reasonable definition."

Womack said that because the resolution was placed at the end of the docket, the chances were "not good" that it would come up for a vote. "Someone could always move to adjourn, which requires no debate" he said.

He added, however, that if his motion were brought to a vote, he thought its chances for passage "reasonable."