Hazens Closes; Hungry Charley's May Follow

CUISINE:

By Richard H. P. sia

Financial problems plaguing two Harvard Square restaurants have forced one to close temporarily and another to institute some last-ditch changes to avert a shutdown.

Hazens Food Shop closed in late January when three civil suits filed against shop owner Douglas W. Hayward and Hazens Food Shop, Inc. were pending in Middlesex Superior Court. The cases, still unresolved, seek payment for unpaid bills totalling $11,077.

The suits were filed on separate dates last year by the Cigarette Service Company, Melo Tone Vending Company and Sharkey's Meat Packing Company. Hayward said he "owes [them] nothing."

Since Hazens's closing, an application for the renewal of the operating license was mailed to the shop last week and returned to the Cambridge License Commission unopened. The license expires April 1.

Hungry Charley's restaurant this week announced a ten-cent price increase for all items and the addition of waitress service in hopes of brightening its gloomy financial situation.

The restaurant loses $1700 a week and will probably close within a month if the announced changes do not increases revenues, John McNally, shop supervisor said. He added Hungry Charley's has lost $87,000 in its three years of existence.