Grapplers Expect Close Battle Against Springfield Tonight

By Richard H. P. sia

Concerned now with breaking even this year, the Harvard varsity wrestling team (3-8) meets the first of their last five opponents, Springfield, at 7:30 tonight in the IAB.

"We have a chance of winning, but it's going to be close," Harvard coach John Lee said yesterday. "We really have to win the rest of our meets if we're going to salvage the year."

Springfield, sporting a young team like Harvard, is not expected to run away with the meet like earlier Crimson opponents, Cal Poly, Navy and Princeton. But the Chiefs, strongest in the middleweights, can jab at Harvard's weak spots at 150 and 158.

Lee said he is still optimistic that sophomore John Keough can improve the team's winless record at 158. Since getting down from 167 to 158 pounds, Keough has lost every match. "At first he was weak and shaky from the weight loss," Lee said. "But he's looking better now in practice."

Falling Apart

A win at 150 seems less likely. Sophomore Mike Dee, in his first year on the varsity, has yet to win a match for the Crimson. "The losses might be due to inexperience," Lee said, "But this far into the season. I really don't know. Dee still looks good in the practice room, but he just falls apart in the meets."

Lee said he is counting on solid wins from Carl Biello (134) and Dan Blakinger (118). Captain Richie Starr (190) may trade bouts with heavyweight Carl Culig, Lee added, "because Starr will be a better match for Springfield's heavy."

Harvard's Bruce Johnson (167) will struggle with Springfield's Dough LeRoy, who is one of the Chiefs's toughest grapplers. George Baker (142) and Jim Strathmeyer (177) will also have difficult battles. Victory for Bill Haley (126), who has lost a majority of his matches, is uncertain.

Actually Harvard should not be too far from defeating the Chiefs, Lee said. "Springfield is in a rebuilding year like us and isn't the big Eastern power it used to be. They have their weaknesses too. All we have to do is work on them."