Whitla Discusses Admissions Policy

Harvard's admissions policy has steadily shifted in emphasis from the academic to the personal qualities of candidates in the last 15 years, Dean K. Whitla, director of the Office of Tests, said at South House last night.

Whitla showed statistical tables indicating that a candidate's interviews, personality, and activities are more heavily weighted now than his class rank and SAT scores.

Whitla also cited several differences between Harvard and Radcliffe admissions policies. Students admitted to Radcliffe have a smaller range of test scores. In addition, Radcliffe's "yield rate"--the percentage of admitted applicants who actually enroll--is about 70 per cent, as opposed to Harvard's 80 per cent figure.

Whitla said that Radcliffe's yield rate was well above 90 per cent until Yale and Princeton started admitting women four years ago.

John P. Reardon '60, director of Admissions, who also spoke, showed the audience portfolios of past candidates for admission, and had the audience vote on whether or not to accept the applicants. He then revealed the Admissions Office's decisions on the candidates, and discussed their subsequent careers at Harvard.

Reardon also said that under the new Early Notification Plan--a plan by which Ivy League colleges give applicants a rating of their chances for admission by February 15--Harvard applicants will probably be rated within a month of the submission of their applications. This policy will allow candidates time to apply to other colleges after receiving their ratings, Reardon said.