Hockey Star David Hynes Withdraws From Harvard

Copyright 1973, The Harvard Crimson All rights reserved

By E.p. Eggert

Harvard University announced yesterday that All-American hockey star David Hynes '73 has withdrawn from the College.

An authoritative source confirmed that Hynes plagiarized a paper for Natural Sciences 118, "Human Populations and Natural Resources." According to this source, Hynes copied the paper from the Suffolk Law Review.

Two members of the Administrative Board, Harvard's disciplinary body, refused to say whether the Board had required Hynes to withdraw this semester. Hynes himself, contacted at his home in Cambridge yesterday afternoon, stated that he had voluntarily left the University for "personal reasons."

Harvard Sports Information announced the news of Hynes's departure at 4:30 p.m. yesterday in Burlington, Vt., three hours before the Harvard-Vermont hockey game.

The release stated that Hynes had withdrawn from the College and gave a brief summary of his career statistics. It made no mention of plagiarism or of a requirement to withdraw.

Under Administrative Board practices, students found guilty of plagiarism are required to withdraw from the University for one full academic year. A student may, however, appeal the Ad Board's decision after one term's absence from school.

Harvard coach Bill Cleary learned about Hynes's withdrawal Tuesday afternoon.

Hynes stated yesterday that he plans to start playing professional hockey and that he will definitely return to Harvard next year to graduate.

Drafted by the Pros

The Boston Bruins drafted Hynes in 1971, and one year later the New England Whalers selected him in the first draft of the newly formed World Hockey Association. Hynes said that he had not decided where he would play.

Hynes has compiled an impressive record since coming to Harvard in 1969. In Hynes's freshman year, Cleary moved him to left wing from the center position where he had played in secondary school. Bob McManama centered for Hynes and right winger Steve Harris.

The freshman team won 20 games and lost only one, a 6-5 defeat at the hands of Boston University. Hynes collected 48 goals, including six against Andover, four against four other teams, and three against Yale.

At the beginning of Hynes's sophomore year Cooney Weiland, who was then in his last season as varsity coach, decided to keep Hynes and McManama together and placed Bill Corkery on right wing. This trio was dubbed the "Local Line" because Hynes came from Cambridge, McManama from Belmont, and Corkery from Arlington.

Most Valuable Player

Hynes scored 26 goals and picked up 26 assists in 27 games. He was chosen the most valuable player of the ECAC Tournament as he scored a hat trick in the finals against Clarkson to give Harvard a come-from-behind 7-4 victory.

Hynes had another good season his junior year. In February he was asked to play on the American Olympic team, which went on to earn the silver medal in Japan. He declined because he felt he had an obligation to Harvard hockey and he did not want to miss the Pennsylvania and Clarkson games.

Along with McManama, Hynes led the team in scoring with 54 points on 25 goals and 29 assists. He led the East in goals per game with a 2.36 average and was picked as a first-team All-American.

This season Hynes collected 15 goals and 19 assists in 12 games. His performance vaulted him into third place in Harvard carrer scoring, four points a head of Steve Owen and 55 points short of the leading total reached in 1955-58 by Bob Cleary, Bill Cleary's brother.

"We are all going to miss Dave," Bill Cleary said yesterday. "He is a great hockey player and a great boy.