Yale Team Beats 'Cliffe Cagers, 33-22

Seventh Loss of the Season

Continuing its inglorious tradition, the Radcliffe basketball team lost to Yale, 33-22, Saturday on its opponent's home ground. This defeat makes up Radcliffe's seventh loss of the eight games played against neighboring colleges this season.

Carla Giannini led the team with a total of seven baskets, while Betsy Munnell followed with six and Betsy Inskeep with four. Doty Robinson exhibited a valiant effort with five baskets and 13 rebounds. rebounds.

Radcliffe coach Vincent Lackey described the Yale team yesterday as being "enthusiastic," but he earlier predicted the match to be "not that difficult because it was [Yale's] first season."

Lackey did, however, say that the Radcliffe team has been particularly handicapped for the last few games because "three potential starters were lost due to injuries." Team captain Jane Elliott was forced to withdraw in mid-season due to torn ligaments, Susan Spath had to retire with a broken finger and a third player is suffering from a precocious hernia. Consequently, only seven out of fourteen players showed up for the Yale game.

Lackey said that the team has been generally "having a tough time" because of "staggered practice times and the number of conflicts with other activities."

"Different time periods make it hard to establish a routine," Lackey said, which he described as being essential for the maintenance of a top-notch team.

Structural Changes

Next year Lackey is planning to change the structure of the program to a uniform time period so that practices can be repeated several times during the week.

"Northeastern was the biggest challenge of the season," Lackey said. "They were well-drilled, had frequent practice times and there were many girls involved in Northeastern's physical education program. That makes a major difference."

Lackey is optimistic about the remaining four games of the season. "We think that we can win three out of four games," he said. "We have good chances against LaSalle, Jackson and Boston College. I am not sure about Wellesley. Wellesley has had a team for quite a while as well as a well-structured program."

Lackey expressed great hopes for players Carla Giannini who "learned her basketball on the playgrounds of New York City" and for Chery1 Gelzer, "a center with outstanding potential to dominate the game."

In spite of the team's bad record this season, Lackey described his feelings about the year in general as being "on the light side."

"Perhaps the Vicious Virgin exotic Polynesian drink was responsible for the victory at Williams," he speculated, "but it may be that the cheap wine on the bus to New Haven accounted for the slow play at Yale Saturday morning."