Local Faces On the Tube

PERSONALITIES:

By H. JEFFREY Leonard

Fans of WNAC-TV's late night sports may have been surprised this week not only to see women sportscasters on the show, but to see that two of the women looked familiar.

Two Radcliffe students, Nehama Jacobs '73 and Jane Elliot '74, are among ten finalists in WNAC's competition to find a woman sportscaster for a four-minute weekend slot.

Both Jacobs and Elliot appeared on the late sports news this week, presenting original sportscasts to complete their competition.

Melvin Bernstein, WNAC News Director said this week that he organized the competition because he thought it would bring a "new perspective into the sports world."

A field of about 200 applicants was trimmed to 50 semi-finalists earlier this month on the basis of a written sports commentary and a personal resume. Ten finalists were then chosen by the judges after they reviewed closed circuit broadcasts of the commentaries.

The winner of the contest will be announced in a few weeks.

Elliot said she considers the desire for the slot an extension of her love for sports. Jacobs's interest in the "extraordinary opportunity to cope with high pressured situations" of broadcast journalism led her to apply for the position.