THE STILLMAN BEQUEST

The Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Recent articles on the Storm King Project have given the impression that all the heirs of the donor of Black Rock Forest oppose the Project and believe that for Harvard to sell any or all of the Forest would be a breach of our fiduciary obligations. This impression is not correct.

In June, 1972, I wrote Calvin W. Stillman, a son of the donor and a professor at Rutgers University, College of Agricultural and Environmental Science, Department of Environmental Resources, to request his views on the Project so that they would be available for the committee President Bok had appointed. Because the committee had not been asked to make a recommendation whether Harvard should sell the whole Forest, I asked Professor Stillman only about the Project. His reply, dated June 21, 1972, reads in relevant part, as follows:

As you know, my father deeded (by bequest) Black Rock Forest to Harvard completely without strings attached. His respect was for Harvard first, and for science second, in my judgment. Thus for Harvard to sell the Forest, and to use the proceeds for forestry-related research, would be quite in accordance with the spirit of his gift.....

In short, I believe that the public interest--let's say the interest of all the publics--would best be served by

a. The pumped storage plan being constructed at the underground site in Storm King Mountain.

b. Palisades Interstate Park Commission taking title to BRF and as much other land as possible (Con Edison need not own the surface of any land not directly needed for access and operations of the pumping station), including the uphill reservoir--for this will have certain recreational benefits, at least for bird-watching in winter.

c. Harvard accepting a cash sum for its lands in Cornwall, but retaining freedom to continue, institute or terminate any research project in its former lands, and perferably anywhere in PIPC.

d. This cash sum transferred to the Harvard Black Rock Forest Fund on the University books, to be used for "any forestry purpose" in accordance with the instrument of gift. This phrase is open to very wide interpretation, quite properly, in accordance with my father's interests in Harvard, and in science, as mentioned above.

To answer your question in brief form, the effect of the Storm King Project on Black Rock Forest would be greatly to enhance its use and enjoyment by the public, and to relieve the University of responsibility for policing and for liability.

These are the views of a man who has been knowledgeable about the Forest and the Project for many years.

This is not to say that Harvard has decided whether to take a position on the Project. Moreover, let me emphasize that there is no recommendation now under consideration to sell the whole or part of the Forest. But I do think it important that The Crimson and the community have access to more information concerning the views of the Stillman family. Daniel Steiner '54   General Counsel to the University

The Crimson is aware and has reported that not all members of the Stillman family oppose the Storm King Project and the sale of the Forest. In our story on February 6 dealing with the family's views on the January committee report we reported that "three of the four participants in the meeting [with President Bok and Daniel Steiner] strongly opposed the conclusions of the report. We have since found this was incorrect. In fact, all four of the participants opposed both the report and the Storm King Project. We had understood incorrectly that Calvin Stillman was there. However, he presented his views in another form. According to reliable sources, his views are not shared by the remainder of the family.   The Editors