'Cliffe Tops Ski League, Places 2nd in Last Race

The Radcliffe Ski Team finished a close second to UMass in the final slalom race of the season Saturday, but regained control of the New England Women's Intercollegiate Ski Conference (NEWISC) championship after a year off the slopes.

Kathy Angell won top individual honors for the year at the final NEWISC banquet held Saturday at Gordham, N.H. Team Captain Debbie McLane was ranked fourth in the Conference.

UMass and Wellesley finished the year in second and third place respectively.

The Cliffies were fresh from their impressive win the Saturday before at Mittersville, Vt., going into this week's race. Angell raced to a first place in Saturday's meet with a combined advantage of two seconds for two runs. McLane and Freshman Katy Moss also highlighted the 'Cliffe's ranks.

Slope Conditions Good

UMass skiers placed second, third, and fourth to edge Radcliffe and win the contest. Wellesley placed third. Despite the recent spell of warm weather, the conditions for the race were good. "There was good cover, with no rocks or anything," Angell said.

The squad of ten has compiled a season record of three first places and two seconds. The Radcliffe team missed one race because of intercession. Two previously scheduled races were cancelled this year because of the unusually warm weather.

Dominates Conference

The Radcliffe team has won the conference title six out of the last seven years. There was no team last year because of apathy. However, that problem seems to have been resolved and next year Radcliffe plans to sport a nordic team to implement its varsity and junior varsity squads.

Aside from Radcliffe, UMass, and Wellesley, the other schools competing in the NEWISC were Mount Holyoke, Merrimack, B.U. and University of New Hampshire's B Team.