Kid's Stuff

Stories of Five Decades by Hermann Hesse Translated by Ralph Manheim Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 328 pp., $8.75

By Gregory F. Lawless

Cinderella

Directed by Betsy Menes

At Currier tonight and tomorrow

PRODUCING A FAIRY TALE in a college community is a risky business, although children's theater is often a genre which allows for wild, imaginative approaches. Cinderella fulfills the requirments of an entertaining tale with a dash of originality thrown into the bargain. But it is ultimately too faithful to the familiar story to be well suited for mature theater-goers.

First of all, the Currier House Fishbowl is not a space conducive to theater, but thanks to a valiant effort by the director Betsy Menes and an ingenious set designed by Tony Simon, the play is both convincing in its scenes of magical transformation and involving in its proximity to the audience. Classical music and bright costumes add to the spectacle, holding the attention of the young audience.

Several of the performers also enhance the energy level of the play. Jaqueline Hayes is perfectly despicable as the evil stepmother, and Nadine Purvis counters as a fairy godmother with cheerfulness worthy of her fluorescent pink gown. Abby Shapiro is a likeable, innocent Cinderella and Blake Spraggins turns in a charmingly affected performance as the Master of Celebrations. Kudos to the management for realizing that racial diversity most emphatically belongs in children's theatre.

As a play intended for children, Cinderella is perhaps best evaluated by children. Gregory, age 3, commented at the performance that he "liked the slipper part best," while Tatiana, 4 1/2, "liked all of it." Jocelyn, also 4 1/2, probably summed it up best when she said simply, "nice." Take it from the experts.