Reports Say Harrison Fired as Coach, But Harvard still Keeps Lips Sealed

By Peter A. Landry and Douglas E. Schoen

The associate director of Athletics last night denied reports that head basketball coach Bob Harrison has been fired.

Baron Pittinger, the associate director of Athletics, labeled a report in yesterday's Boston Evening Globe that Harrison had been relieved of his duties "pure speculation."

"What happened was that Leigh Montville of The Globe, who is covering the Eastern Regionals, heard people talking in Charlotte [N.C.] about Harrison being finished," Pittinger said. "We have not made a decision yet on Harrison, and Montville's report is pure speculation," he added.

Contacted in Charlotte last night, Montville said that a number of coaches had come up to him during the day and told him that Harrison had been fired.

"I didn't approach anyone on this story; they came to me. Some coaches said that Harvard has begun contacting people about filling Harrison's job," Montville said.

Harrison's Reply

Harrison did not deny the report last evening, saying only, "You'll have to get that sort of information from someone in the athletic department."

"I don't know what's going on," Harrison said. "I have nothing to say. But if anything should happen, I will have something to say later," Harrison added.

Harrison confirmed reports that he has met with Pittinger and Robert B. Watson '37, director of Athletics, since the end of the season. He denied that the meetings were anything out of the ordinary.

"Coaches always meet with the athletic director to discuss the season," Harrison said.