Cultural Center Plans Fund Drive

MONEY:

By Daniel Swanson

The Afro-American Cultural Center is running out of money.

The Center, which sponsors a variety of educational and social programs for black students here, plans to kick off a major fund raising drive within the next two weeks to replenish its treasury and begin amassing an endowment.

Imani Kazana, director of the Center, said last week the organization, which is being advised by Harvard in planning the drive, hopes to raise $100,000 for next year's operating expenses. Funds raised above that figure will be funneled into the endowment fund.

The operating expenses figure budgeted for next year is between $30,000 and $40,000 greater than this year's amount, but Amani explained the Center needs more administrative help and equipment.

The Center, located at 20 Sacremento Street, was founded in the Fall of 1969 to meet the needs of the mushrooming number of blacks at Harvard. Dean Epps explained that alumni raised an initial $130,000 for the Center, but added he was not surprised the funds were almost gone.

Kazani explained that the drive will get underway in the next two weeks after two brochures outlining the Center's history and future plans are completed and circulated.

She said there is "no danger" the Center will close. "We have people waiting in the wings to give money, but they need something in writing describing us," she explained.

Kazani cautioned, however, that the drive is not assured of success. "Students and black people are no longer in style, like they were several years ago," she said.

The Harvard Development Office is assisting the Center in planning the drive. "The Development Office has helped us in identifying people likely to give and in going with us to foundations for back-up financial support," Kazani said.