Harvard Guts Natural Sciences 27

COURSES:

By Fran Schumer

One of Harvard's more delightful courses, Natural Sciences 27, "Life and the Natural Environment," died last week of overpopulation.

Edward T. Wilcox, chairman of the Committee on General Education, explained that the course was cancelled because its high enrollment drew students away from other Natural Science courses.

However, unofficial sources suggest that the course was simply too pleasant for its own good.

"Seashells" as affectionate alumni have dubbed the course, offers many attractions in addition to the easy-going disposition of its instructor, Howard B. Fell, professor of Invertebrate Zoology.

For one thing, Fell dislikes notetaking. He compiled all the information needed to pass the final, the course's only requirement, into a supplementary book.

His method seems to do the trick because over half the 500 students enrolled in the course this year received honors grades.

Fell, who said he hoped courses similar to Nat Sci 27 would proliferate throughout the state, denied that grading was a primary factor in the course's popularity.

Course evaluations by students tend to substantiate Fell's belief. Citing nocturnal excursions to the New England Aquarium and traveling expeditions to Nahant, former students described Nat Sci 27 as "fun, interesting and easy."