PBH Prisons Committee Asks Greater Volunteer Commitment

A self-evaluation by the Phillips Brooks House Prisons Committee has called for increased commitment from its volunteers and a greater emphasis on black studies programs.

Sabine Rodriquez '74, chairman of the committee, said yesterday that the committee will increase the minimum service commitment required of volunteers from six months to one year starting next Fall. The committee will also require volunteers to attend three meetings a month in order to coordinate volunteer activities.

The committee presently sends volunteers to eight Massachusetts correvtional institutions to instruct inmates in math, reading and other subjects relevant to rehabilitation. The black studies courses have been among the most popular with inmates, Rodriguez said.

However, this year a shortage of black studies teachers forced the program to be limited to Walpole Prison. The inmate rebellion in Walpole Prison ended that program last December.

Recruit Instructors

The committee initiated a black studies program at Deer Island Prison this week, Rodriguez said. He said that next fall PBH will actively recruit black studies instructors.

Rodriguez added that next fall the committee will offer a seminar, perhaps for credit, on the Massachusetts correctional system.

The seminar will "help to make our volunteers into authorities on the prison system," Rodriguez said.

Professionals in the corrections field are assisting in the committee's selfevaluation, he added.

Summer Program

The committee also plans to expand its summer program this year. Summer activities will include teaching programs at Deer Island Prison and the Charles Street Jail, as well as research work on penal reform.

Rodriguez said that the committee is encouraging increased participation in its activities by graduate students, particularly those in the Law School and the Graduate School of Education. He said that they have skills they can share with inmates and other volunteers.