Education Institute To Recruit Women As '73 Applicants

By Amanda Bennett

A Harvard institute is seeking more women applicants this year for its program in educational management.

Paul W. Upson, executive secretary for the Institute for Educational Management (IEM), said yesterday that because the program is designed for people who are in educational administration already, they were having trouble recruiting women applicants.

"There just aren't enough women around in administration," Upson said.

Goals and Timetables

He said, however, that universities were interested in sending women to the program, partly because of the Federal government's Affirmative Action Program which sets goals and timetables for the hiring and advancement of women and minorities in educational institutions.

Upson said that last year the six-week long course included only 25 women among the 120 participants. The women received about half of IEM's scholarship money.

"The titles of the women we admitted to the program are not as impressive as the men's," he said. "But they come to us very highly endorsed by their colleges and universities." He said that because the program used mostly a case method approach to problems in educational administration, the quality of the class is related to the experience of the participants.

One of the women in the program said yesterday that she felt that the women in the program were sometimes reluctant to be articulate.

Doris J. Mitchell, assistant dean of students in Radcliffe--and one of two women at Harvard and Radcliffe to have participated in the program--said she felt that women did not have enough experience in many areas of administration to become self-confident.

"A program like this is important because it gives you an overview of other people's responsibilities and the pressures under which they function," she said.

She said that she found the program useful, but that what a woman would get from the program would depend in large measure on the institution's original intent in sending the woman to participate in the program